Commercial Legal Expenses Insurance is designed to protect business owners and employees against many common types of legal problems.
These problems could include:
- issues with an employee claiming you have dismissed them unfairly
- a dispute over a contract with a supplier or hire company
- a tax enquiry from HMRC.
Commercial Legal Expenses Insurance also gives access to telephone legal advice, a counselling helpline, tax advice and a legal information and document preparation website.
Our advisers provide confidential legal advice over the phone on any general commercial legal problem affecting the business, under the laws of any European Union country, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Switzerland and Norway. Wherever possible the Legal Advice helpline aims to provide immediate advice from a legal adviser. However if this is not possible they will arrange a call back at a time to suit you.
Advice on the laws of England and Wales is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Where advice is sought in an area of law beyond this jurisdiction or in respect of specialist matters, we will refer you to one of our specialist advisers. This will include European law and certain areas of law for Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Certain areas of specialist advice is provided 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public and bank holidays. If calls are made outside these times, we will call you back.
What isn’t covered – policy exclusions
It’s important to bear in mind that policy cover and limitations can vary between different providers.
Typical exclusions and limitations include:
- limits to the maximum amount of costs and compensation payable
- internal disciplinary or grievance procedures
- waiting periods may apply
- settlements agreed and payable during ACAS Early Conciliation procedure
- minimum amounts in dispute in order to claim
- an upper limit on the value of the contract entered into
- an illness or bodily injury that happens gradually
- certain contract disputes e.g. IT/computer systems, loans, pensions or any other financial products
- activities not directly related to the operation of the business
- disputes concerning the ownership or use of motor vehicles.
If you are interested in buying Commercial Legal Expenses Insurance or want to know more about what is included in your policy, please speak to your insurance adviser.